Benicia State Capitol
115 West G St, Benicia, CA 94510
State Capital (1853-1854, 1958, 2000)
The Benicia Capitol (now the Benecia Capitol State Historic Park) is the large red brick building located on the Northwest corner of 1st and G streets.
HISTORY: Built in 1852 as Benicia’s City Hall, the site became California’s capitol in 1853. The 1853 session of the Legislature started on February 4, 1853. The legislature passed legislation to move the Capitol from Benicia to Sacramento a year later on February 24, 1854. The location was deeded to the state in 1951 and became a State Historic Park in 1958. Also in 1958, the legislature passed SCR 2, which returned the capital to Benicia for a single day on March 15, 1958. A second resolution, SCR 54, moved the capital to Benicia temporarily for February 16, 2000.
Source: “Previous Capitals of California” by the California State Library